The soprano Asmik Grigorian is our striking cover portrait. Operas reviewed include Macbeth at La Scala and at Covent Garden, the conclusion of Gothenburg Opera’s Ring cycle with Götterdämmerung, Matthew Aucoin’s Eurydice at the Met, Nielsen’s Maskarade in Frankfurt and Osud in Brno.
This month’s features are:
- A profile of the dazzlingly verstatile soprano Asmik Grigorian
- Stephen Hastings marks the centenary of the unforgettable Renata Tebaldi
- Tchaikovsky’s female confidantes and muses revealed
- The exciting new initiatives at Greek National Opera
- An exploration of unjustly forgotten Greek singers
- James Gaffigan, the newly appointed music director of the Komische Oper Berlin, chooses as his most treasured recording Tristan und Isolde with René Kollo and Margaret Price, conducted by Carlos Kleiber
Our Disc of the Month, leading a selection of CD and book reviews, is Rameau’s Achante et Céphise, featuring Sabine Devieilhe and Cyrille Dubois in the title roles.
Order your issue hereOrder This Issue Subscribe