Our cover this month features the outstanding American tenor Lawrence Brownlee, sought after in the bel canto repertoire — in interview here we focus on his affinity for Rossini.
Continuing our coverage of the devastating impact of Covid-19 on the operatic world, we also reflect on the way in which plagues have been portrayed in opera.
Also included in this month’s features:
- A profile of the soprano Natalya Romaniw
- Rediscovering Rejcha, a look at the life and music of a great friend and exact contemporary of Beethoven
- An interview with John Liddell, Scottish Opera’s outgoing head of costume
- A survey of Universal Edition’s extraordinarily rich pre-1938 archive
- In memoriam Peter Jonas: David Pountney’s tribute to his close colleague
- Obituaries of Gabriel Bacquier, Rosalind Elias, Neil Howlett, Kerstin Meyer, Jeannette Pilou and other major artists
Our ‘For the record’ guest this month is the conductor Semyon Bychkov, and our ‘Disc of the month’ is the tenor Piotr Beczała’s new album Vincerò on the Pentatone label.
If you’re not already a subscriber, why not try today?
Stay healthy and best wishes,
The Opera TeamOrder This Issue Subscribe