DANCE IN OPERA
We have a bear and a ballerina on our front cover, and inside there are reviews of operas including Don Giovanni in Vienna, La Fille du régiment in Bergamo, Otello in Naples, Die Meistersinger in Tokyo and Rigoletto at the Met in New York and at Opera North in Leeds.
This month’s features include:
- Rupert Christiansen on the development of dance in opera
- Alastair Macaulay on director/choreographers—and choreographer/directors
- Roger Parker on Verdi and the dance
- Brian Robins on dance in early opera
- Ismene Brown on the moment when opera gave birth to ballet
- A choreographers’ round table with contributions from numerous dance-makers
- Anthony Freud, Lyric Opera of Chicago’s general director, on his favourite recording: Peter Grimes, conducted by Colin Davis, with Jon Vickers in the title role.
Available online February 8, in-store February 15Order This Issue Subscribe